Today I pose a question to myself and everyone else: What’s the best thing about being single?
Sure, there’s plenty of arguments for why being celibate/sex-free is great (God says so, you can avoid STDS, you don’t have to spend money on contraception, and even better, you have zero risks of getting a ‘pleasant surprise’ like my parents did with my little sister, etc) but what’re the plus sides of being single?
So I made a list of my top 8 things:
-You don’t have to worry if they’re out and about with someone else on the side or questioning if the names Lee, Dana, or Sydney are girls or guys calling them in the middle of the night. Facebook-stalking is no longer your #1 hobby. Cool huh?
-You don’t have to make the effort of getting dressed up to go anywhere. All of the sudden, flats and sandals can be worn in public again, and your less-than-skintight shirts magically reappear in your closet.
-You don’t have to shell out money on a regular basis to go out to places that you’re probably not going to enjoy yourself at.
-I can go watch hours upon hours of mind-numbing TV in the same PJs I fell asleep in last night without some fear that I’ll be judged and deemed an unworthy mate. Considering the multitude of series marathons that run every week, this specifically brings me immense joy.
-I can knit. No, really. It’s pretty important. Relationships get in the way of it since they argue that sex and going out to dinner is so much better than knitting. No it’s not; I’m working on a scarf and it’ll likely yield me something more tangible and joyous in that same hour of enjoyable (albeit likely fruitless) sex dammit!
-If you three-way kiss your girl friend and her boyfriend at the same time, no one’s going to get on your ass about it. For that matter, the semi-lesbianic things you do under the influence (or even without it) are the taboo you can do since there aren’t any cops in town anymore.
-Suddenly, you’re going to the gym because you want to look good for you, not because he likes that you can fit into his custom 28” waist passenger seat.
-When that cute guy you occasionally see at that place you stop by every so often smiles at you, you don’t feel bad in the least about smiling back.
So while these don’t exactly top the ever-present ideal of finding your soulmate and entering into relationship/marital/family bliss (not necessarily in that order), they make me pretty giddy. Maybe 2011 won’t completely suck after all.

No comments:
Post a Comment