BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 90 (Recall) I See Asian People



Written 2/26/11

I don’t like having so many Filipinos on my floor.

I know too many, and a fair amount know of me so I feel like my every move and mistake are being cataloged by too many people who have my parents’ phone numbers. And while I get that it’s a big thing to have Filipino nurses in every hospital (it’s such a regular occurrence that it’s really such a cliché) I do miss the hospitals that I did rotations in back in college.

For one, everyone speaks English. Secondly, I don’t have that awkward moment where I panic and wonder if I’m supposed to call them “Tita” like I’ve been raised to, or if I should address them by their first names, which would be normal, but culturally equates to me completely ignoring and essentially disrespecting their seniority and general greatness above me.

So yeah, it’s a little uncomfortable. Granted, they all insist that I’m not eating enough and try to feed me whenever I make eye contact with them, so…I guess it’s not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment