BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 93 (Recall) Baby, Baby


Written 3/1/11

I’m the youngest woman on my floor.

And no, I don’t mean I’m the youngest “person” because there is a severe lack of penis-presence. But the fact remains that pretty much all of my co-workers have pictures of them with their children and/or pets on their lockers…whereas mine currently has the semi-peeled off label sticker of its previous owner’s name.

…

Yeah, so point is, when these women gather together and chatter, I find myself hearing about their families and their children, whom I’m more inclined to be in the same age group with.  And as I sat there, munching on my chips and soda while they picked at their fruits and Lean Cuisines, I was pressed into realizing, not for the first time, that I don’t really have anyone on my floor that I could connect with. It’s kind of sad but reassuring on some level. I mean, I’m glad that there are people who’ve been at the job longer than me, no doubt.

But it is kind of lonely.

The youngest people there are at least 8 years older than me with kids and it’s a little sucky to have this outlier feeling. Not to mention, a lot of the women went to school together before getting assigned to the same unit that it makes it hard to feel “part of the team” when you’re pretty much the rookie who just got traded in from a no-name city.

Just a thought.

Also: this makes me very grateful that I chose not to work at my mother’s hospital. I’m fairly certain she’s bitched about me and my baby Sister, and I’m not sure I’d be able to sit across her co-workers knowing that they know about the time we were once almost arrested for domestic abuse.

Awkward body flag for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment