So today is the day of Rapture, when the tiny (really tiny) percentage of God-abiding citizens of the world will be raised up to heaven. Calculated by someone who I didn't bother to look up, I wonder if this Biblical event has already taken place since there's another hemisphere of this globe that's technically already 12 hours ahead...or if, you know, it's complete bull.
Truth be told, I didn't even think about this particular event since, well, I didn't know about it until the parent of one of my babies pointed it out. He didn't feel like much of a believer, and I'm not really too into it either. But fact is, the prediction exists that today, at 6 pm (not sure about which time zone exactly) the world is supposed to shake with quakes, marking the beginning of 5 months of geographical torment that the sinners of the planet are to endure before the Earth explodes. [I'm paraphrasing, but this is pretty much what I'm getting from the multitude of crap that keeps popping up on Yahoo]
By that math, the world is set to start to end in 8 hours on the Eastern side of the US...so I guess Hawaii has like at least 2 extra hours because the people living there are just so pious? Ah well...
The point of this was to say that there are people spending today, probably at this moment, living like they're dying...rushing to finish projects, rushing to reconcile, rushing to declare their eternal love and devotion to another human being. And I've always hated this mentality. Rather than living like you're dying and spending your entire existence as a constant rat race, why not just live your life like, you know, you're alive. Because, really, everyone dies (if we don't all get Raptured) and sure, the Afterworld or Heaven or Elysian Fields of what lies beyond our existence might be equal parts badass and just bad, but what's so wrong with enjoying what we have now? With what we have around us and the things that we're grateful for?
Seriously: what's wrong with not caring that the world is going to end? I don't, and it's not because I'm not super religious or because the guy who predicted that this is the last day on earth for the righteous predicted it would happen in 1994 too, but because I generally love my life, even if I don't always like it. I'm going back to work in a few hours and I can honestly say that if the world were to really end, I'd be fine spending it hugging a baby because it's where I would've been anyway (and where I'll likely be in a few hours).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment