The Baby and I hated each other when we were younger.
Like, absolutely detested each other's presence in our lives so much to the point that it was miracle if we got through a week without physically assaulting the other in some capacity. We were an intense love-hate relationship with hate being the predominant emotion eventually culminating in us nearly being arrested for domestic violence in the spring of '05. Suffice to say, it was not a good day.
Then, something magical happened. I went away for college. Flashforward 300 miles and 4 years later and I find myself astounded that our relationship is as good as it is today. Considering that the Baby wears a scar over her right eye courtesy of a Beauty and the Beast goldenbooks edition that I flung at her face Sailor-Moon-Tiara style circa 1994, I find comfort in our relationship and how, despite the catfights and occasional blood, we were able to find ourselves in a situation where, not only could we refrain from doing bodily harm to each other, but where we might (just might) actually like each ohter.
It gives me hope, actually, about a lot of other relationships in my life. One could argue that siblings naturally get along better when they're older (barring family drama of course) but definitely feel that getting along with each other took a certain amount of effort and understanding that sometimes neither of us have the patience to put forward. I definitely believe that keeping the peace with people takes both sides making a compromise and meeting at a halfway point that, if no one's happy about, at least everyone can tolerate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment