BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 235 (Recall) Asian Love

Certain Asian languages have actual titles to address people who are younger or older than them. In the Filipino language, we use the terms kuya and ate, which both translate as "older brother/sister" but aren't necessarily used to address actual siblings. The opposing title, meaning "little sibling" but is more of an affectionate term like "buddy" or "sport" is ading.

One of my adings in particular, Remy, turned 21 this Wednesday and, as a result, we had a small outing. Now, my pseudo/makeshift family has had its share of drama this year so it genuinely surprised me to see who actually came out to come together to celebrate Remy's birthday. Then again, he was turning 21 and I guess this is kind of like his bachelor party-preview...

In any case, Elliot had gotten tickets for a screening of 30 Minutes or Less and I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of people out with us that I hadn't seen in a very long time. We laugh in the movie before heading to a bar, where the Baby gets very upset that they won't serve her alcohol because her license has expired.

"It's not like my birthday's changed." She insists almost angrily...to the big, beefy bartender who looks like he could chew her up in four bites (one for each foot of her height). I suggest that I give her my glass but by then she's just content with pouting and watching everyone else around us talk shit. Remy gets drunk really fast and I can't help but hope that no one tells his mom that I helped her baby get shiftfaced on his 21st birthday...after all, I kinda work with the woman.

I joke with Becky's boyfriend, cockblock Kai, have smoke blown in my face by Cory, Cue's brother, and inadvertedly reveal that one of my cousins had gotten married almost a decade ago. Shawn, Cue's sister's boyfriend laughs off the gossip that I could've sworn everyone knew about and reveals some good news too: Ginny (a woman in our "church group" who'd hade a miscarriage a year ago) and Janet, Cue's sister, were pregnant!

Spring babies are coming to our group and I am soo excited! I can feel girls coming into our fake, somewhat cultish family and I'm beyond excited to have healthy babies in the fold. That, or it's the wine talking. Either way, hurray!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment