BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 254 Expectations

I think there's a fallacy somewhere in believing that there's a right type of man to marry. You're supposed to find this good-looking, hard-working guy with these awesome family values and stick with the sucker for and raise a family with the person. And, in theory, it's a great idea. Only thing that gets in the way of it working in real life is pretty much reality and the fact that people change.

I mean, who's to say that this person is going to be the same good-looking, hard-working guy in the future. Sure, having a good track record gives you a pretty good projection as to how your life together is going to pan out, but it's never a guarantee and it kinda upsets me that people (read: girls) buy into this way of thinking. I target girls because we're more likely to buy into a "happily ever after" ending and kinda forget that we don't get the ending credits at "I do"... the  movie just keeps on playing.

Best part is, I'm not even talking about adultery or loving your family less or getting lazy and such. I'm talking about the big changes in your life that matter, like having one of you be horribly disfigured or diagnosed with a horrible disease. See, what I think are "horrible" diseases aren't the ones that kill you: they're just the ones that make you wanna die.

The joys of medicine have given us antibiotics and an assortment of treatments and machines that keep people healthy and alive for far longer than we should without them. Every wonder why they say 30 is the new 20? It's because we can survive the nicks and scratches that we suffered in our teens without dying of some horrible infection.

Living longer when you're healthy is not an issue. Keeping you alive when you're not...now there's the problem. Between what I've seen at school and what I've seen in work, I've seen how difficult it is to deal with someone who isn't going to get better. Seeing the human vegetables around, though, makes you wonder: is this what they expected?


And, if they were given the choice again, would they still take it?

No comments:

Post a Comment