I catch a ride with Elliot and his mother at the crack of fucking dawn because registration for the 5K run I've signed up to do is at 7:30.
...by 8 am, I'm still stuck in the registration line that continues to move at a snail's pace. There's literally a horde of people everywhere, some I can't recognize without their scrubs on, and others pushing around babies in strollers and tending after hyperactive children.
Cue, Rick and Elliot already have their numbers, only the first of which is actually planning on running the entire 5K while the rest of us are planning on semi-jogging through the whole thing. Cue's been training to run it in under 30 minutes, and my attempts at training have made my knee cry metaphorical tears of sorrow... all of which find me ending just under 45 minutes. We take off with the runners, weaving between families and packs of girls. Cue stays at the lead for the entire time and Elliot laughs when I have to stop to tie my shoelaces,
"I told you to tie them before we started!" And I urge him to shut up as I sprint to catch up with them.
We jogged through most of Mile 1 until we pass by a water table and I walk it off with a drink in hand. Elliot doesn't want to stop so he keeps running while Ricky and I slack off behind (Cue's long-gone by now). Eventually, I get the urge to run and drag Ricky along until I have to tie my shoelaces (again) . By the time I get up, I don't see Ricky anywhere so I figure I'll just run to catch up (I'd later find out that Ricky stayed waay behind). I never do find Ricky but find Elliot on the way and together, we catch up to Cue.
We walk for a while, with me stuck listening to them talk about how much motivation jiggly asses provide for them to run along. At this point, I'm reminded of how much I would've loved to have more girls to run with instead of the intense testosterone-fest I seem to be thriving in in the painfully stagnant Miami heat. Cue eventually runs ahead while Elliot and I jog, vowing to run the rest of the way once we hit the Mile 3 marker.
Turns out, we actually sprint the rest of the way and make it through just around 40 minutes and I'm completely relieved that my knee hasn't completely gone to shit. I feel great! .... and so I reward myself....
With a hotdog
...and cotton candy
and a part of Ricky's snowcone
Yes, I'm entirely aware that I totally undid all the physical workout I endured with the awesomeness of free junk food. But I think after sweating and being gross for almost an hour, I totally deserve it....maybe.
Written 9.25.11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment