BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 308 (Recall) Highlight

I work on a lockdown unit, which means that you have to run through like 5 security points before even approaching a bedside. We only have a limited number of visitors per bedside and siblings under a certain age aren't allowed to even come in.

So when I look beyond the back windows that lead to a narrow corridor behind our huge room and see an adorable little girl poking her head at one of the corners, I have to smile. There are no babies situated by the windows so all she's doing is smiling and being curious and trying to see into the room that her baby sister is currently living in while her relatives congregate behind her and talk amongst themselves.

I'm about to bathe another child, but I wave for them to hold still, then suit up and move to disconnect my baby from her monitors (something I'm kinda sorta not supposed to do). I bundle the tiny lil girl up anyway and move her to the equally tiny corner of the window and let a 6-year-old girl meet her baby sister for the first time.
I press the baby's hand against the glass and I can see her older sister laugh and overlap her hand were the tiny palmprint is. I pick up my baby's arm and let her wave to her sister on the other end and the 6-year-old presses a kiss to the glass.

It is, without a doubt, the best part of my long night.

Written 10.2.11

No comments:

Post a Comment