Considering that, prior to this year, I never had any income to begin with, this is perfectly understandable. I haven't had much experience with money and most of my understanding of how credit works comes very haphazardly from people who can't explain it very well to me. My parents aren't much help since their idea of income is "that thing that needs to go straight to savings." While I'm sure it worked out well when they were living in the third world home country and having to provide for their family and siblings, it doesn't quite work out so well for me. For one, I don't have a horde of people that I need to watch out for, and secondly, I don't exactly have the same concerns as they do. I mean, both of my parents are a few years shy of retirement whereas I'm pretty much just starting out.
Soo, like with most things in my life that I don't completely understand, I got a book. For the young, fabulous and broke.
Granted, I'm not particularly fabulous or broke, but I'd like to be old, fabulous, and financially stable so I figure this is one of those preventative measures I ought to be taking in my younger years.
I'm not a fan of self-help books, but this year's come with a few reality-slaps and I figure the best way I can prepare myself for when those slaps turn into punches is by straightening my own life out before looking out for anyone else's. A lot of what I end up reading are things I'm fairly aware of: credit scores, the importance of online bill pay, and never co-signing cards with friends. Other things don't particularly apply to me such as student loans (thank god for scholarships so I didn't have to live completely on my parents' dime) and changing careers (then what the fuck would I have gone to school for??). But overall, the book's a nice education on me needing to focus on saving up for my future.
At some point though, I wound up setting the book down and wondering if there was ever supposed to be a point of me being able to actually use the money I earn. I'm not talking about random things like shopping and going to the movies (The Baby runs up the bill more than I do during these outings), but big things like trips and vacations and awesome splurges like that new laptop I so frickin desperately need.
Point of this entry: Real life sucks and I kinda wished I had been prepared for this before I left for college in the first place.
Soo, like with most things in my life that I don't completely understand, I got a book. For the young, fabulous and broke.
Granted, I'm not particularly fabulous or broke, but I'd like to be old, fabulous, and financially stable so I figure this is one of those preventative measures I ought to be taking in my younger years.
I'm not a fan of self-help books, but this year's come with a few reality-slaps and I figure the best way I can prepare myself for when those slaps turn into punches is by straightening my own life out before looking out for anyone else's. A lot of what I end up reading are things I'm fairly aware of: credit scores, the importance of online bill pay, and never co-signing cards with friends. Other things don't particularly apply to me such as student loans (thank god for scholarships so I didn't have to live completely on my parents' dime) and changing careers (then what the fuck would I have gone to school for??). But overall, the book's a nice education on me needing to focus on saving up for my future.
At some point though, I wound up setting the book down and wondering if there was ever supposed to be a point of me being able to actually use the money I earn. I'm not talking about random things like shopping and going to the movies (The Baby runs up the bill more than I do during these outings), but big things like trips and vacations and awesome splurges like that new laptop I so frickin desperately need.
Point of this entry: Real life sucks and I kinda wished I had been prepared for this before I left for college in the first place.


No comments:
Post a Comment