BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 329 Imma Big Girl Now!

I signed up for my 403(b) today. And no, I don't mean a 401(k): my 403(b) is specific for non-profit organizations.
It was a very big-girl move in my book, considering that, prior to this year, I had no idea what a 403(b) was to begin with and that most people my age don't bother thinking about retirement until they're a decade or so into their careers. So this morning, I went up to the nice man at the mutual funds desk, went over a lot of words I didn't understand and hopefully signed up for the right account that will begin the small cushion of the retirement that I will likely never enter in this lifetime. 

Afterwards, I trek home to sleep before heading to work out with Nicky. 

"I might look like I'm meditating in the back on a mat." I tell her ahead of time. "But I'm probably sleeping. Fair warning."

I'm exactly in that position when she comes in and her hair is puffy and I just wanna pat it but she glares my hands back down. I might've pouted a little.


Since my beloved has old-lady knees, we bypass the treadmills and hit up the ellipticals instead, half of our earphones on as we stare at the TV screens in front of us half-heartedly. After staring at CNN for a while, Nicky goes,


"Does it make me a bad person to say that I think the people of Occupy Wall Street need to get jobs?"


"Oh my God!" I practically cry out in relief, almost falling out of my elliptical. "I was so scared to bring it up with you because I thought you'd actually side with those hippies!"


"Me too!" She exclaims, looking as pleased as I am. "I was really scared you were going to have a crazy moment that I wouldn't be able to understand you on."


And it's one of those special moments that make me glad that I've found someone who thinks that Occupy Wall Street is being headed by hippy-dippies with too much pot and not enough brain cells to be actual productive members of society. We thank God for being able to understand one another for the rest of our cardio workout and head back to the mats for floor exercises, the only interruption is me being astounded by Nicky's abnormally large feet. (I call them flipper-feet)

Normally, I hit up the machines, but my wife and her old-lady knees require less weights.

We spend about 20 minutes just lying/sitting on our respective mats side by side, idly wondering why there are strange little children in the back room attempting to choreograph dance moves. We would've likely spent longer in those same exact positions had a staff member come across us and declared,

"I've gone to the bathroom, back to my desk, and through here again... and you two have literally been rolling around on the mats the entire time. Are you ever going to do anything??"

And Nicky and I make half-hearted attempts to defend our laziness before realizing that we have, in fact, spent another 5 minutes just sitting on our mats doing absolutely nothing. At this point, we figure we might as well start doing something and my wife thus charges into exercises and stretches that make me sit back and wonder if I look remotely as energetic when I attempt to work out with machines.

She suggests that I pole-dance with her and I figure, I do need new forms of exercise...

No comments:

Post a Comment