BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 355 Asian Bitches

Becky and the Baby are already outside the restaurant waiting by the time I pull up. It's near impossible to find parking, even though it's only Thursday and I can't help but think these people still have work in the morning.
The Baby's has just started working with a 3-year-old autistic boy that she can't stop gushing over. "He's so cute!" She insists. "He crawled up to the couch where I was sitting and just stared at me and started smiling!!"

She and Becky are both graduating in a month and I can't help but feel super old when I realize that I've been working for almost a year now... and what a year it's been. And what a year it's going to be. 2012 is going to be an insane year and I'm eight levels of excited to see it all unfurl. The indicator for our reservations start vibrating right when Lee comes around, prompting the usual jokes of,

"There goes thicky-thick." and "We knew you were coming when the ground started shaking."

The four of us get lead to a booth by the bar and I keep an eye on the Broncos game while we take our seats and order our drinks before we even think about food: Lee's Mai Tai, Becky's Riesling, my Moscato, and the Baby's rum and diet coke. 

"You know," She quips, "The guys were forcing me to prove that I wasn't getting married just because I was pregnant."
The Baby's face is nice and pink as our dinner moves along and we talk about the plans for her ceremony next month. Becky and I insist that Lee joins us in pressuring both the Baby and Billy for the wedding by bombarding their mailboxes with fabric and cake samples. Lee and Becky are both between-jobs but have prospects in sight and Lee's just recently bought a pomeranian maltese to fill in the moments of boredom she has at home.

"I think I have an idea of what my dad was like when I was a baby now," She laughs. "He spends his time cuddling with the puppy and using babytalk with him."

The Baby thinks this is hilarious, "It's their second chance at a non-demon child."

We talk a lot for the rest of the meal about the baby's nuptials and how it's near impossible to get our old social group together when everyone's so busy and not everyone puts in the effort to come out. It's one of those reminders that we're all getting old and that responsibilities don't really leave a lot of room for going out and partying. Still, being able to have this dinner with these girls gives me comfort that having a social life isn't so completely impossible...

No comments:

Post a Comment