BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 7 (Recall) Games


Today, I watched as a set of 20-odd year old men played Naruto for two hours in their determination to unlock all the available characters. It might’ve been because I suck at fighter-games in general, but I had an understandably limited interest in participating (I largely came in hopes that I’d be able to play Rock Band 3 or watch Scott Pilgrim) so I stuck back and watched the admittedly-admirable graphics while munching on a delicious pot pie. As I did so, I began to wonder the incredibility of it all; how deeply these men breathed in the game they were playing. For me, I can barely recall which button makes a punch or a kick, so the idea of memorizing combination-sequences while strategically thinking of how to activate your character’s super awesome kill move is just really beyond me.

I know it’s not completely a guy thing, but I do wonder what is it that guys get out of playing games, let alone to the extent of ignoring their significant others as several of my girlfriends complain about. As one of those women pointed out, “It’s not like Call of Duty can suck his dick.”

…And yet, when the damn game came out, taken women everywhere on facebook lamented their resignation to temporary invisibility while their partners worked out the 8-10 hours of gameplay on Black Ops.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Or not. In retrospect, it’s more likely that games are more of a recreational activity than an actual obsession…at least until you find yourself playing for hours and hours on end until you realize you haven’t bathed in the past 48 hours. Not that I speak from experience of course…

No comments:

Post a Comment