BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 40 The Blog Fairy


I’m starting to get the feeling that there’s an internet fairy. Like, one that sees what you bitch about online and immediately makes sure that your next post is a completely different take.

As I was heading out the door this morning, my phone rang. With my voice pretty much still on its deathbed, I was really hesitant about picking up, but I did.

And now I’m a little confused.

Now, I already mentioned my aunt campaigning for a job in her hospital here in South Florida; the one who’s told me to “be patient” and just wait for the position to open up in a unit that I don’t really care whether or not I get into.

This morning, I had a cal from yet another aunt, out in California (hereby referred to as Aunt Cali). She told me that there was a position opening up in Vegas (a few hours away from her home) that her daughter (one my oldest and dearest friends) was applying for, and encouraged me to apply if I didn’t have anything set. I told her about my situation here in South Florida, and she agreed that I’d be likely to find employment here.

However, right after I hung up, I began entertaining the idea a little more: Vegas, hours away from California, my dream state.

As I dropped off deposits at the bank, I thought about it more and more and more until it became a commercial composed of sunny skies, electric nights, and weekends of surfing on sultry beaches, and making a ski trip or two complete with its own background music.

A few hours later and I’m still at the same place; the job opportunity here at home is just a matter of waiting it out for the position to open for me to grab VS this completely new territory out in Nevada where I’d have next to little support and pretty much no one I know. While it’s a daunting idea, it’s also one that kind of excites me.

At the same time, I have this semi-quasi almost-sort-of job here. My aunt’s told me to wait and be patient, and my cousin (who works on the same unit) has insisted that it was only a matter of time for a position to be opened. Consensus: a matter of time. And a matter of respect, in some ways. Perhaps it was the way I was raised, taught to be grateful when people go out of their way to help you, that’s holding me back. In some way, I feel that, if I do pursue this new territory, that I’m kind of, well, betraying my aunt and disregarding a lot of the effort and pull she’s done to help me out. Sure, it’s been a while since I’ve last heard from the hospital, but I have faith and I believe her when she tells me that I’m still in the running.

So that’s one issue.

The other hangup that I have is that the Vegas job depends a lot on my own ability to even work in the state. I’d need to apply for my license to be valid in the state of Nevada, which involves a lot of paperwork but nothing too awful. My greatest worry is that the paperwork will take longer than the position will stay open, making me go through multiple hoops of legality upon something completely and utterly fruitless.

But just the thought of Vegas and being that much closer in proximity to my dream of living out in California is so fantastically tempting that I can’t ignore it completely. I just know I’d kick myself over a hundred times over if I didn’t at least try.

So, I’ve asked my Aunt Cali and her daughter to keep me posted as to whether or not I can apply for the job even prior to being able to work in the state. If so, here I go~

No comments:

Post a Comment