I have spent the entire day eating.
No, really, I simply...ate my day away. Starting with the morning, with my sister barging in and announcing, "I'm hungry!" which carried the undertone, "Feed me because you now make money!" So off we went to get a meal for our family (aren't I a fabulous provider??).
Only three hours later, I arrived to a tiny Colombian restaurant with Nicky and Ricky on a semi-impromptu July-baby date. I munched on my eggs and steak while Nicky hashed about her incompetent bosses' probable affair and Ricky cursed his supervisor through all the levels of hell and a hopeful reincarnation as a retarded dung beetle. The most "complaints" I could offer about my workplace was that I was the youngest on the unit and likely would have more in common with my coworkers' toddlers than my coworkers themselves.
After a moment, we stared at each other and silent mourning that this really wasn't how we thought real life was going to be (darn you MTV and Disney for lying to us!!) and Ricky did a horrible impression of an emo-esque Frenchie taking a fake drag of an invisible cigarette, crackling,
"C'est la vie."
Yeah, the very interesting-if-not-always-awesome life. At some point, I brought up the idea of going to Comic Con this year, which started the Who-is-nerdier-than-who debate. I personally feel that just because I understand some aspects of the DC and Marvel universes doesn't make me a bigger nerd than Nicky, who thrives off of Korean dramas to the point that she actually ignores me to watch them, and Ricky, who has an entire closet dedicated to various Power Rangers Zords and a few Gundam models.
...Needless to say, we all lost that particular debate.
On the topic of Comic Con, Nicky said she likely wouldn't be able to leave during hurricane season. She also pointed out that that mango blossoms bloomed early this year, which she insisted was a sure sign that this would be a horrible year for hurricanes, ironically my first year back home to experience a hurricane first hand. That, in turn got us talking about the recent earthquake/tsunami disaster in Japan and I mentioned how grateful I was that I hadn't heard any bad news from my relatives in the Philippines (which I honestly expected considering the geographical closeness) and Nicky got a deer-caught-in-headlights look when she fervently hoped aloud that her team wouldn't be sent out to provide relief simply because, well, it's being run by incompetent bosses who're likely having an affair with each other.
After being stuffed like cattle about to be led to slaughter, I dropped off Nicky while Ricky and I scoured the mall in search of the perfect phone. It didn't wind up being a long search, as within 15 minutes of getting to the mall, my sister informs me that Joy is having a crisis and that I should come home...with food. An hour later, I come home to this "emergency" to find that Joy, Gilly, and the Baby sister have decided to deal with the "emergency" the same way they've managed to deal with the other stressors of their lives: drinking. I walked to my backyard to find them in assorted states of inebriation, yelling obscenities and heckling poor little girls walking by the lake while demanding that I demean Joy's ex-boyfriend and the heffer of a female he's currently got his grubby little hands on. I conducted my duty as the mean friend and eventually sent the girls away with my credit card to get more food. This time, it was pizza and pasta but I'm too stuffed and ready to barf to take any of it in.
Maybe I really am masochistic in some sense to be this huge glutton for punishment, but I really don't think so. It may be a little fun for me, but there's a part of me that just feels so...detached from the emotional aspect of things. Have my old relationships really desensitized me to the extent that I can't even feel anything for guys anymore beyond the blissful joy of naivety and momentary (and restrained!) pleasure? And, if so, is that really a bad thing?

No comments:
Post a Comment