BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 150 (Recall) Bears, Elephants, and Horses (Oh my)


I got a panda in D.C. His name is Baboo. Coincidentally, Mina has a teddy bear her mother dubbed "Babu," which apparently translates to "little boy". Upon hearing this I insisted that they meet.
I personally think they enjoyed the visit while Mina showed me a beautiful sari she got me in Indian and an adorable evil-eye elephant keychain that I promptly attached to my rearview mirror, making me the only member of my family that doesn't have a crucifix hanging in their car.

After seeing my "lover" I took off to meet my family for that dinner that I was not looking forward to. 
Believe it or not, this would've been an improvement.
Turns out, it really was as bad as I thought it would be; with my parents sitting in one corner of our booth throughout our appetizer without saying more than maybe five sentences to me put together. I'm not sure what that was all about, but it was kind of annoying, seeing as how it'd be another month before we'd all be able to sit together as a family with my mom going back to the motherland. Either way, I found myself counting down the minutes until the Baby Sister showed up to lighten the mood.

...So I have to attend this class for work; it's more of a workshop than a class, revolving around how your energy and perceptions directly affect your quality of work. Not gonna lie; I completely anticipated being bored for the entire 8 hours but finding myself pretty interested and a little more than slightly invested in what we're talking about.

I've moaned more than once on how I end a lot of my workdays on a bad or depressing note, with my mood lower than my height. Last week was particularly trying and I contacted Zi with the following:

"I find myself feeling like a constant failure; that I can't get through one week without being too slow or making a mistake or doing/saying something that the charge nurse will likely interpret as yet another proof of my utter uselessness. Is this supposed to happen or is the universe telling me that I suck cojones at my job?"

The next day he texted me back:

"That's part of the learning process - you'll get better at it.  Just keep an open mind. Think about it this way: though yelling at you isn't the most professional method of telling you to get better, it can still serve as motivation for you to push yourself harder for the benefit of your patients. Don't take it personally. It's for the good of the babies youre taking care of. Try to put yourself in the third person perspective and analyze your shortcomings. Then improve upon them. Do your best and have a positive and open attitude about it... don't take it personally. You'll be okay. Experience isn't learned overnight."

And the more time I spent there, the more modules the workshop went through together, the more hope and courage I gathered in what I learned, which served only to reinforce Zi's own words. I know in my heart that it's okay that I don't know everything, that it's alright if every move I make is just shy of perfect or not-quite-just-right.

I got out of the workshop early, heading to the gym for the first time in about two-three weeks (my belly has exponentially expanded since). I felt my body about to die after only half and hour and tried doing some floor exercises...only to amaze a set of 60-year-old women with my backbend.

This then lead to a fifteen-minute moment of amazement and subsequent attempts by elder women, one of whom had horrible arthritis, to attempt backbends next to my mat. Needless to say, it was entirely amusing. After less than an hour of working out (pathetic by my usual standards), I headed home in my usual cruising fashion

Although it would've been a lot easier to get home without the idiots going the speed limit...

Written 4.26.1
Posted 4.27.11

No comments:

Post a Comment