BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 186 Thank You

"You sound like you're doing really good." Jason sounds surprised and I'm more proud of the fact than insulted by the subtext. 

I reply, "Thank you?" and try to laugh off the affronted undertone that I know is in my voice.

"No really," He insists sincerely. "I was worried for you for a while there, but it sounds like you've really analyzed the situation as best you can and are acting in the best way possible."


I'm exhausted, having only had 2 hours of "sleep" on a couch that wasn't mine after work and about to head out to work again in just 4 more. I'm finally in my own bed and I've just finished telling Jason about my mistake earlier this week, not the part about waking up in a different guy's home twice since Saturday night, but the part about making a phone call and allowing myself to believe that things would end with just that. I'm really tired and my cellphone slips from my shoulder more than once and I have trouble following the topic, but Jason and I haven't spoken to each other in a long time...and whenever that happens I feel like the distance between us in all levels gets exponentially further. 


So I stay on the line and tell him the whole story, the ups and downs and I try not to let in just how much of things were out of my control and how much worse they'd be if I was the one in the driver's seat. But he sounds proud of me...and I can't bring myself to tell him otherwise because it's nice to have some positive reinforcement lately.

We talk for longer than I should've with an overnight shift hovering over my head in a matter of hours. I congratulate him on his recent amazing achievement then scare him shitless with the countless things that can go wrong when a baby gets born. He tells me about his last relationship with a girl he's only starting to really realize treated him like shit and I think the fact that I didn't practically sing-song "I told you so" speaks volumes about my self-control.

At some point, he reiterates that he thinks I'm better now. Maybe I'm just a good faker at this kind of stuff, or maybe no one really remembers that 2.5 years ago I was an arm's reach away from a plastic bottle with meaner spirits than the ones you find in a glass or tin one. 


Either way, his words give me some level of peace...even if he's just saying the words because it's polite.



I think I'm being lied to. I feel it in my bones that someone near and too dear to me, someone I desperately love is deceiving me in an awfully horrible way. I have no proof, no tangible evidence other than this progressively spiraling feeling in my gut that I am losing something so important and I can't seem to do anything other than stand by and let it happen, because they won't grasp the hand I'm reaching out to hold them with.

No comments:

Post a Comment