BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 185 Cover

A few years ago for Lent, I gave up lying.
Only one of the three though
Surprisingly, this wasn't very hard. Over the next few weeks, I started to realize that it wasn't so much that I lied, per se, it's just that I wasn't exactly completely telling the total truth. Yeah, yeah I know it's pretty much splitting hairs, but it kinda opened up a new perspective for me. The entire experience pretty much showed me that lying was...well, kinda dumb and useless. And by that I mean that lying in any capacity, mincing words, withholding information, or just flat-out changing facts to suit yourself, was just dumb. 

Countless magazines tell people that lying is okay; that you don't have to tell your hubby that one spur-of-the-moment kiss you had with that cute coworker if it "didn't mean anything to you," that there's no point in hurting your best friend's feelings if she's not wearing the most flattering dress at the moment and so on and so forth. I started to realize though, that the justifications for keeping secrets, telling lies, or not being honest at all inherently lie in your own needs and wants. 

So...it's selfish. Lying is covering your own ass because you know it's on fire regardless. But there's kinda no point in it. Lying to not hurt people's feelings or egos ultimately gives them a severely false impression of your own perspective...a perspective that you're supposed to uphold until you later disappoint them otherwise. Lying to yourself, convincing yourself that you're doing or saying something for the better good of others, that's just BS because you inherently understand that it's a lie too.


I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's no point in lying. It's just dumb. And I think it's ugly and stupid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment