If you spend enough time with someone, you learn to expect certain things. You find out if they're the kind that wake up at 6 am sharp every day bright as fucking day, or if they sleep in past noon like vampires shunning the light. You figure out if they prefer chicken or fish or nothing with face, and you gradually learn to anticipate their other preferences and habits over time.
So when, after years and years of knowing a person, learning their habits and tendencies, they do something out of the ordinary, something so beyond the scope of your expectation of them... it's sometimes a shock.
And other times, it's a disappointment. It's a damn shame, I think, when people fail to live up to the expectations you hold them to. Not so much parents because, by the law of life, they're bound to disappoint you as you get older and recognize that they're humans and make mistakes. But friends, ah, those guys, you expect more from them. Why? Because they're your friends; you picked them out above the rest and kept them close because you liked what you saw and you assume vice versa.
But when these people, whom you trust and believe in, manage to do something so... disappointing, it's... well, disappointing.
"I just didn't think he was so grimy like that." I confess. "I would have expected that from [inserting names of very disappointing people here] but not from him."
I can practically feel the apathy from my companion, "Whatever. DGAF."
But I'm very disappointed. Not just at my ill-judged "friend" but at myself, for having had faith in someone who is just... well, haha, unfaithful. After my dating experience, I'm well aware of the bad reputation men in general have among my gender... I just didn't think a source of the collective stench would be so closeby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment