BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 165 Bebehs

My job's pretty simple (minus the diagnoses and the stuff I actually do to make sure my babies don't die of infections or do stupid things like gag on their own saliva): I keep them warm, I give 'em food, make sure they don't stay up in one position for too long because bedsores are gross, and give them a paci or pat them to make sure their screeching doesn't wake everyone else up on the unit. And around the fourth time I had to go through this same routine with one of my babies, I came to the following conclusion:

We're all just big babies.
"I'm confused...am I supposed to play with it or eat it...?"
Sure, the things you have to do to satisfy them changes the older (and/or fatter) they get...but it's really all the same. Take keeping them warm for instance: sure, babies can eat, shit and scream bloody murder but thermoregulation? Fuggedaboutit~! But while adults can manage their own homeopathic tendencies, not all of them can get a point where they're safe and sound...literally. 


Feeding...everyone does it. Babies just need the good stuff from mommies' tits whereas adults aspire to get the good stuff while enjoying tits.
We turn babies when we touch them because staying in one position for too long runs the risk for giving them bedsores...and a little change of scenery helps too. We're the same when we get older. No matter how much a person can abhor or fear change, it's inevitable and, sometimes necessary. 


I find myself spending more and more time everyday wanting to just...get away. I always almost use the word "escape" but to do so means that I'd admit to being trapped.

Babies need pacifiers or mobiles that play "Twinkle Little Star" or simply someone to pat their back when they cry out. Over the next twenty and thirty years, we find our comforts in other places: in a bed sound asleep, in an activity that either makes us feel alive or soothes our souls...maybe in another human being altogether. And one day, we find a comfort that quiets us completely...that satisfies us much like a pacifier does for a baby...it gives no sustenance, provides no shelter, but its simple presence allows us to sleep silently.



No comments:

Post a Comment